Young Writers Program Outreach Intern (1 position)
Spring semester position (February – May 2021)
10-15 hours per week, primarily daytime, Tuesday – Friday
This internship position is remote
Stipend: The Loft's Young Writer's Program Outreach Intern will be paid a $1000 stipend, disbursed in two installments during the internship term.
Loft internships offer a flexible and enjoyable workplace, excellent supervision and mentoring, and the company of dedicated and creative colleagues.
Young Writers Program
The Loft Literary Center offers writing classes and workshops for K-12 students year-round. The summer session is the biggest term of the year for children and teens, with writing camps dedicated to writing and exploring topics like poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, historical fiction, fantasy, fairy tales, spoken word, and more.
For Summer 2021 all summer youth programming will take place in virtual classrooms that run throughout June, July, and August. The intern’s main objective is to assist education staff in connecting organizations, schools, parents, and students with our virtual youth programming through community outreach and engagement.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Researching digital camp fairs and summer camp expos and conferences; communicating opportunities to youth program coordinator; assisting with preparing promotional materials for fairs and expos.
- Research and compilation of a list of direct contacts for 1-1 outreach--youth organizations, community centers, parenting groups, K-12 English departments, and creative writing teachers--with emphasis on schools and organizations in the Twin Cities, the greater Minnesota area, and the Midwest.
- With support and/or direction from youth program coordinator, create press/media kits, flyers, or other promotional material that clearly and effectively communicate the move to online-only summer youth programming, classes available for registration, scholarship opportunities, etc.
- Sending and tracking promotional materials to individuals and organizations.
- Sending and tracking of promotional materials to teaching artists
Additional Responsibilities might include:
- Managing the Loft’s Young Writers blog; creating content for blog that will highlight youth class opportunities i.e. book reviews, teaching artist news, etc; maintain an active list of non Loft related writing and publishing opportunities for K-12 students.
- Manage and track response rate to assist in compilation of permanent marketing list.
- Intentional outreach to national/non-Minnesota based organizations and schools
- Brainstorm and implement other promotional materials and opportunities
- A demonstrated interest in learning more about arts organizations and nonprofit education and management.
- Experience in data entry, self-guided research and community outreach
- An educational background in Literature and Creative Writing or experience taking creative writing classes
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, Excel, Google platform);
The ideal candidate will be energetic, experienced with teleconferencing, detail oriented, creative with a sense of humor,. This position reports to the Director of Education. A minimum of a high school diploma is required for this position; current degree seeking college students preferred. This position is remote, and we welcome applicants located outside of the Twin Cities area; knowledge of the Minnesota literary arts scene is a plus.
This position receives a $1000 stipend.
To Apply: Please prepare MS Word or PDF documents that include a resumé and a cover letter. You may submit as separate files or as one collected file through Submittable. Submit by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, December 21st, 2020, Due to the expected number of applicants, we request that you do not call to check on your status. You will receive a confirmation by email to let you know that your application was successfully submitted. If you would like to make a change to your application, you can withdraw it at any point using your Submittable account and then resubmit.
Finalists will be contacted for interviews. Once the position is filled, all applicants will be notified.