Program Intern, Summer Youth 2023
Location: Open Book - Minneapolis, MN
Organization: The Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis www.loft.org
The Loft Literary Center is one of the nation’s leading nonprofit literary centers, offering more than 300 creative writing classes a year for youth and adults. The Loft also supports writers and readers through grants, mentorships, writing studios, regular readings and a spoken word series, and on its website through a wealth of resources about craft and the writing life.
The award-winning Loft is renowned for the quality of its programming and its service to the community. Loft staff members enjoy a flexible and enjoyable workplace, health and other benefits, generous paid time off, a four-day work week, and the company of dedicated and creative colleagues.
Position Purpose: The Program Intern for Summer Youth is a contract position with somewhat flexible daytime hours, Tuesday-Friday July 18 through August 11, 2023, typically between 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., onsite at Open Book. There will be 1-2 paid planning sessions with the Program Manager and Program Coordinators in June 2023. The position supports the Loft’s Young Writers’ Program during the summer which provides creative writing instruction to youth ages 6–17, onsite at Open Book
- Supervise children, ages 6-13, during lunchtime care hours
- Help implement creative activities for multiple age levels with Summer Program Coordinator
- Supervise students during "walking field trips" to nearby locations
- Provide logistical and administrative support for teaching artists, students, and parents
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. The list above is representative of the essential responsibilities for the job, but it is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of duties required to perform this role. As a member of the Loft Literary Center staff, other duties may be assigned to fulfill the Loft’s mission, vision and strategic plan objectives.
The specific knowledge required to do the above can be learned if the applicant meets the following job requirements:
- Be able to work reliably and dependably Tuesday–Friday for all 4 weeks of the summer program July 18 through August 11 between 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m
- Have experience working with and supervising large and diverse groups of children and teens ages 6–13 in a summer enrichment education program setting
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with parents and guardians
- Superior attention to detail, with the demonstrated ability to manage time and projects effectively and independently
- The ability to be a part of a team working environment while also possessing the ability to work independently and with initiative
- A minimum of a high school diploma is required for this position; current degree seeking college students preferred.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A love of creative writing and reading
- A love for working with students
- A desire to develop skills in the educational field
Time: This position is contracted work Tuesday-Friday from July 18 through August 11; 1-2 days in early June 2023 will also be required for training and orientation, exact date(s) TBD.
Location: Open Book - Minneapolis, MN
To Apply: The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 17, 2023. Interviews will take place in April. Please prepare a cover letter and a resume as MS Word or PDF documents.
Please contact Program Manager Lucia LoTempio <llotempio [at] loft.org> with an
A complete criminal background check will be required of anyone filling this position.
Due to the expected number of applicants, we request that you do not call or email to check on your application status. You will get a confirmation by email to let you know that your application was received.
The Loft is an equal opportunity employer.